The Palliative Approach in Long Term Care Community of Practice is a group of professionals, patients, caregivers and other interested individuals who come together to share experiences and best practices regarding Advance Care Planning and palliative approaches in LTC education and implementation- including challenges and successes. The group is run in collaboration with SPA-LTC and the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association.
The Palliative Approach in Long Term Care Community of Practice has three main goals:
- Act as a professional resource to colleagues on Advance Care Planning and palliative approaches in Long Term Care education and implementation.
- To share tools and resources to advance best practices in Advance Care Planning and palliative approaches in Long Term Care across Canada.
- To provide a safe space to discuss, learn and explore different perspectives on Advance Care Planning and palliative approaches in Long Term Care.
Each meeting features guest speakers on a variety of topics around long term care.
- Thursday, October 13th 2022 11:00 AM ET
- Membership sharing
- Thursday, November 10th 2022 11:00 AM ET
- End of Life Doulas: A Vital Part of the Care Team
- Thursday, December 8th 2022 11:00 AM ET
- Evaluating Namaste Care, A Psychosocial Program, Delivered by Family Caregivers of Community Dwelling Older Adults with Moderate to Advanced Dementia
- Thursday, January 12th 2023 11:00 AM ET
- Thursday, February 9th 2023 11:00 AM ET
Thursday, November 19th 2022
- Advance Care Planning in Canada is proud to announce the release of Essential Conversations: A Guide to Advance Care Planning in Long-Term Care Settings. It is a must-have toolkit for those involved in planning for and providing long-term care – health care providers working in long-term care settings, administrators, regional health authorities and policy makers – to understand and implement best practices in Advance Care Planning and palliative approaches in long-term care.
The comprehensive, easy-to-read guide features several tools to guide the implementation of the ACP process in long-term care settings:
- When and how Advance Care Planning should happen in Long-Term Care
- Tips and Tools for Integrating Advance Care Planning into Long-Term Care
- Training and Supporting the Long-Term Care Team